Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] RCM moving forward

Page 1 / 2
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Hi everybody,
Just thought I would let you know about some news I have had today. I spoke to Terry (our landlord) today regarding a new lease on our building.

When we first moved to Thurmaston, our rent at the time was supposed to be around £10k. Terry was VERY generous with the rent and let us progress in three stages (once per year), this equated to £5k for the first year, £7.5k for the second year and then £10k for the third year.

Unfortunately during our third year we also had new windows fitted (to help save money on heating) and we were asked to pay £3k towards them (they actually cost close to £8.5k in the end). This mean we paid roughly £13k this year.

Even though we had a very good year event wise and we did actually manage to pay for everything. Things were/are still VERY tight - as you know we get no outside funding at all.

So onto the bad news . . . rent has gone up all around Leicester (and everywhere else I guess?) so much so that it also affects our place too.

The new rent works out something like this:-
We SHOULD be paying £8 per square feet - which would equate to £14.5k.

However I have negotiated a deal (for the next five years at least). If I sign this new agreement it will be £7 per square feet (£13k per year) but with a discount for the first three years of £1k.

So in total (over 5 years) the total bill would be £62k - something which scares me a little.
I am a little annoyed it has gone up so much but I have looked around the Leicester area and £7 sq ft (for commercial property) is still pretty good to be honest.

It means in real terms to everybody that helps we need to find/raise an extra £3k - £4k per year - do you think we can do it? Anybody have any ideas to raise a little more money? As always your support on this is very much appreciated - whether it be donations of time, money or indeed both.

Because of this we will also need to 'loose' our extra storage space - as an extra £2.4k on top of what I have said above is definitely out.

Andy

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2015 6:44 pm
DC The Juggler
(@dc-the-juggler)
Member Moderator

Just going to check my euro millions ticket.... Bugger, nope, not this time.  Right then, Pan B... well, some ideas anyway - feel free to shoot down the rubbish ones.

I know you were talking about not doing the Comic Cons next year, sounds like we're going to need the money after all if possible.  You tell them our rent went up by 30% but the fees are only going up by 25%.  If they agree, great it's more money, if they say no, who cares? You did not want to do the event anyway.

Maybe next time you offer to do an event for free (which I know you do occasionally to promote future business), you could follow it with the words 'We'll just charge you the cost of the petrol - 20p per mile per car', I don't think anyone could argue against it.  They don't have to know that Simon and I (and hopefully others) don't charge the museum to take the kit to events.  The trick is to pause a bit after saying it's free, let them get that warm fuzzy feeling of getting a fantastic deal that they 'really' want to happen.... then get a few quid out of them.

Not everyone available has to go to the events - five people looking after 20 systems is a waste of resources, it would be great if there are enough people to stay behind to keep the museum open each week.  Can not expect any one person to be available every week, but a rota of cover may not be that difficult to organise.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else, meanwhile I'll keep playing the euro millions.

David

Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2015 10:06 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Nice post David. Appreciated mate.

Andy

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2015 10:43 pm
Panther
(@panther)
Member Moderator

Hi Andy,

How big is the current unit (all 5 rooms, kitchen, reception etc.) in sq ft (or metres) ?

Have we definately exhausted all the avenues of external funding ?

If there is definately no further room for negotiation on existing rent, as I see you'v already managed to get a decent discount ?

If we are staying where we are then we really need to start being quite brutal on what we are keeping and look at selling some of the kit off, do we really need that many, Amigas, Speccy's, Beebs, Amstrads & monitors, Gamecubes etc. etc. ctc. ???  Stuff needs to be tested and sold off to raise extra funds and also create extra space. We really need to sort the remaining rooms 4, 5 and the kitchen as they are not utilised to their full potential look at setting up the duplicate systems packed into crates for shows etc. (all labelled so we know what is where).

You know I'm all up for testing  ;D and I have no problem sticking a few bags of rubbish and a couple of monitors/TV'S in the boot for disposal if they are no longer needed.

I know this isn't an idea for making more money, but something I think the museum misses out on is proper display showing the history of computers/consoles and also showing off some of the rare kit we have.

The other option is to downsize to a smaller unit for the Museum, with offsite storage for everything else. :- Not ideal but maybe worth a look.

When do you need to sign a new lease ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2015 2:26 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Thanks Stu. Good points.
I need to sign the new lease in the next couple of weeks. 🙁

Andy

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2015 3:29 pm
Panther
(@panther)
Member Moderator

Do we still have the asset management stickers and barcode scanner ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2015 4:59 pm
muguk
(@muguk)
Member Admin

If you need stuff selling at an event, just invite Eleanor along 🙂

Several sites to choose from:
a) Word Toolbox Add-In - for any power Word user
b) My old hacking stuff of yore
c) Preserving old photographic slides found at car boots!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2015 7:06 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Further to this post - we (as in the Committee) are also now looking at other premieses. All I can say at this point is that the one we like the look of isn't a MILLION miles away from where we are but is considerably bigger . . .  🙂

A

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/11/2015 5:59 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Looks like we will definitely be moving . . . I have just signed the lease for the new place! 🙂

New address (as from the 5th January) will be:-

Unit A
Troon Way Business Centre
Humberstone Lane
Thurmaston
Leicester
LE4 9HA

Andy

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2015 10:22 pm
BassHead
(@basshead)
Member Admin

b(H)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2015 10:28 am
Panther
(@panther)
Member Moderator

I Just remembered I am out of the country for ALL of January and possibly February, good luck with the move  😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2015 11:07 am
DC The Juggler
(@dc-the-juggler)
Member Moderator

I've managed to book a week off work in January starting Monday the 11th. My back has already started complaining just in anticipation.

David

Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2015 3:39 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

I am out of the country from 4th January until December 2016 . . . lol . . .  thanks for your support! 😉

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/12/2015 3:50 pm
marculos
(@marculos)
Member Admin

Hi, if we want to inventory stuff I can provide one maybe two ruggedized tablets with inbuilt barcode scanners and an offline form app (iForm) where we can capture anything we like. If you want me to do this let me know and I'll ask work if I can borrow them.

You fail it! Your skill is not enough, see you next time, bye-bye!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/12/2015 4:43 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Sounds like a good idea. Yes please mate. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/12/2015 5:00 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: