RCM moving forward

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] RCM moving forward

Page 2 / 2
marculos
(@marculos)
Member Admin

Right I'm not sure I'll be able to get the tablets, no one here to ask and they are worth £££ so don't want to borrow without the OK. However we will be able to use smartphones (Android or iOS) with the app which uses the camera to scan 2d barcodes. I have tested on an ipad and it works fine. I have no idea where RCMs barcode labels are though. I know some stuff is already barcoded.

The fields I have on the form are barcode, item type (computer, console etc), Serial Number, Computer Model A-Z (drop down) Console Type A-Z (drop down), Status (BIN / KEEP / SELL), Status 2 (Working / Broken), free text box and an image control so you can take a pic if necessary. All of these fields are non mandatory. If you want anything else let me know. All you need to do is download the free iForm app and I will give you the username and password. We can use the same username and password on up to 3 devices (Android / iOS). Its a piece of piss to use 🙂 . Once uploaded we get a nice excel sheet of everything scanned.

You fail it! Your skill is not enough, see you next time, bye-bye!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/12/2015 3:32 pm
marculos
(@marculos)
Member Admin

If anyone wants this inventory app for this weekends move let me know. I won't be able to set it up till much later though as in hospital with my son who had a massive allergic reaction to a tiny bit of nut last night !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2015 8:11 am
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Hi Mark,
We are not moving until the 9th anyway mate so don't worry - just packing stuff (games and books) etc away at the moment.
Look after your family - fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
Cheers
Andy

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/12/2015 10:32 am
DC The Juggler
(@dc-the-juggler)
Member Moderator

As I'm the only person stupid enough to volunteer for all nine days of the move, I suppose my iPhone or iPad would be a good candidate for this app. I guess it works better on the bigger screen of a tablet, so I'll bring along my iPad for the week.

Please may I have a link for the software and your username and password.

Someone else will need to look into providing bar code stickers.

Could it take more than one pic? Instead of typing everything during the move, would it not be quicker at the time to just stick on and scan a barcode, take pictures of the computer, the serial number, any obvious damage, and then fill in all the details at leisure after the move using the information in the pictures?

As Andy says, there is time work out the details before the 9th. Hope your son gets well soon.

Happy New Year

David

David

Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2015 10:52 am
DC The Juggler
(@dc-the-juggler)
Member Moderator

Still thinking about how an inventory could work and just had an idea. Can you add a shelf location field? Maybe we could start numbering the shelves or even put bar codes on the shelves. Then we could keep track of where each computer ended up. The only downside I can see is that a tablet or smart phone would need to be available at all times in the future to track any moves. I think I could donate an old iPod touch then might do the trick. Alternatively, I wonder how much it would cost for a version of the software that can be used by more than 3 devices? then every volunteer could have it on their smartphone, or is the size of an offline database full of pictures going to be much for most people's smartphones?

David

Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2015 11:26 am
marculos
(@marculos)
Member Admin

Son back home last night, bloody scary but hes ok now.. just a lifetime of avoiding anything containing nuts !

This iForm app is really for capture only its not really a database type management tool, its really for surveys just thought it might be useful to inventory RCMs stuff. We can add as many fields as you like, extra images, shelf location no problem. This issue is when it has been submitted its uploaded to the cloud and cannot be edited on the device. Great for capture for not really useful as a database tool.

Once uploaded its available I think in a variety of file formats, csv, xml etc so could easily convert to a database. I guess it could be a good starting point.

Licensing .. now we would be just borrowing one of my works licenses .. RCM could have its own free account but there is a monthly limit of 100 records per form before you have to extract the csv and start again with capture.

Free version
10 forms
Up to 10 users
100 records per form
100 API calls per month

David I will set you up something later today so you can test. Non of the fields are mandatory on the form so you can just take a picture and  enter a serial and we could capture the rest at a later date.

Good luck packing !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2016 7:27 am
Panther
(@panther)
Member Moderator

Still thinking about how an inventory could work and just had an idea. Can you add a shelf location field? Maybe we could start numbering the shelves or even put bar codes on the shelves. Then we could keep track of where each computer ended up. The only downside I can see is that a tablet or smart phone would need to be available at all times in the future to track any moves. I think I could donate an old iPod touch then might do the trick. Alternatively, I wonder how much it would cost for a version of the software that can be used by more than 3 devices? then every volunteer could have it on their smartphone, or is the size of an offline database full of pictures going to be much for most people's smartphones?

David

We've had shelves labelled in the past, and we had an access database setup with system info, serial numbers etc. we even gave them individual RCM numbers.

It worked great to start off with, until people take stuff of shelves, move stuff etc. and don't change the database ! Likewise we started cataloguing the software but that didn't last long either, since then RCM stock has grown exponentially !

Going on past movements (and this will be the third time), no one has time to scan and log everything.

I am all for getting things logged down as it would make finding things so, so much easier, but we'll have to see how it goes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2016 11:02 am
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

I tend to agree with Stu . . . hopefully with enough planning (and space) it will be much simpler to do afterwards. It will take months to do as it stands - however at some point it HAS to be done for insurance purposes.

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/01/2016 1:22 pm
Panther
(@panther)
Member Moderator

It definitely needs doing at some point and the sooner the better, we also need to start testing and separating into categories such as working, fixable, spares only etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2016 4:08 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

I now have the keys . . . it begins . . . 😉

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/01/2016 10:01 pm
DC The Juggler
(@dc-the-juggler)
Member Moderator

I would imagine the job is looking quite daunting at the moment. Don't panic mate, we'll get it sorted out for you.

Are you there tomorrow (Wednesday)?  Hopefully I won't get call out tomorrow night and can come and join you.

David

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 10:38 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: