Notifications
Clear all

wanted zx81 tv cable

Page 1 / 2
comicbooknerd
(@comicbooknerd)
Estimable Member

Hi everyone.

Got a really nice boxed zx81 with a boxed 16k ram expansion for £4 yesterday from the carboot! Rest assured I was rather chuffed with this purchase.

Only thing that's missing is the cable to connect it to the tv.

Does anyone have a spare one I can buy from them or have an idea of where to look for one online as im.having trouble getting on.

Thanks in advance.

Topic starter Posted : 27/05/2012 10:24 am
rewind
(@rewind)
Reputable Member

its just a normal RF cable isnt it?

All sorts of retro related stuff: http://retro-blog.co.uk
Gaming Parts and Spares!! http://www.rewind-bits.co.uk/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2012 11:07 am
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Certainly is a normal RF leaf . . . however I highly recommend you get it composite modded - should work on most TVs then . . . 😉

A

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2012 2:23 pm
moggy
(@moggy)
Trusted Member

Certainly is a normal RF leaf . . . however I highly recommend you get it composite modded - should work on most TVs then . . . 😉

A

Only if it has the later 2C210E ULA  and then cathode tube types only.

This cures it albeit at a price.

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/Sinclair_ZX81_ZXVid_-_Composite_Video%25ULA_Fix_%28self-fit%29-2338

Moggy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2012 5:41 pm
comicbooknerd
(@comicbooknerd)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Managed to snag a spare RF lead from one of my Snes's and just about got it sorted. Iv'e managed to find the signal from it but the signal is really bad. Is this a common sort of problem that can be resolved by careful retuning, or is this were the composite comes into play? Sorry for sounding such a noob. I feel as though iv'e lost a few nerd points!

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/05/2012 11:30 pm
MaxHall
(@maxhall)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Managed to snag a spare RF lead from one of my Snes's and just about got it sorted. Iv'e managed to find the signal from it but the signal is really bad. Is this a common sort of problem that can be resolved by careful retuning, or is this were the composite comes into play? Sorry for sounding such a noob. I feel as though iv'e lost a few nerd points!

Thanks

You may have tuning problems with New TV's especially LCD or Plasma, try get hold of a old 14" CRT from car boot or something, (usually about £5-£10), that should cure your problems, unless of course you have a faulty ZX81.

You will get a decent picture with Composite Mod, on newer telly's....(quite easy to do as well if you know how to use a soldering iron)

All the best
Max

Max Hall

Producer and Remixer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 1:56 pm
Panther
(@panther)
Member Moderator

I have two ZX81's and neither like my 20 year old Sony CRT, both have almost black screen with a black cursor (not the best combination) !!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 3:26 pm
MaxHall
(@maxhall)
Estimable Member

I have two ZX81's and neither like my 20 year old Sony CRT, both have almost black screen with a black cursor (not the best combination) !!

bummer, 😉 lol

Max Hall

Producer and Remixer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 3:54 pm
comicbooknerd
(@comicbooknerd)
Estimable Member

Thanks

You may have tuning problems with New TV's especially LCD or Plasma, try get hold of a old 14" CRT from car boot or something, (usually about £5-£10), that should cure your problems, unless of course you have a faulty ZX81.

You will get a decent picture with Composite Mod, on newer telly's....(quite easy to do as well if you know how to use a soldering iron)

All the best
Max

Thanks Max, I'v'e been trying it out on an old Orion CRT we have knocking about. Iv'e tried fine tuning on the recommended channel but still seems really fuzzy. For the moment I'll put it down to the TV, i'll try again on a different CRT when I next come across one, think my mum still has one spare come to think of it. I dont think / hope theres nothing wrong with the zx itself. Ill look into the composite mod and see about doing in the future. Thanks again to everyone for all there help and input.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/05/2012 5:10 pm
moggy
(@moggy)
Trusted Member

Thanks

All the best
Max

But without the newer ULA the composite mod WILL NOT WORK as the others lack the back porch signal needed for colour sets.

ULAs numbered 2C158E or 2C184E black and white tv only, 2C210E colour crt tv only.

It might pay You to open up the zeddy and check the ULA number before buying a tv.

Moggy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 5:35 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

Thanks for that moggy! 🙂 Always good to know which one is which as I can never remember!
So in theory we can offer a service of 'changing' the ULA/composite modding for people . . . 🙂 as we have a couple in the RCM stock! 🙂

A

"I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing" - Funeral Pyre by The Jam

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 5:38 pm
moggy
(@moggy)
Trusted Member

Zeddies with older ULA's can be modded for B/W sets but there's no real point in doing mod  unless You stumble across one of those rare  5" Roadstar B/W portables that were fitted with AV input.

Moggy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 5:49 pm
AndyRCM
(@andyrcm)
Member Admin

LOL! True mate - true! 🙂

A

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2012 5:50 pm
comicbooknerd
(@comicbooknerd)
Estimable Member

Thanks

All the best
Max

But without the newer ULA the composite mod WILL NOT WORK as the others lack the back porch signal needed for colour sets.

ULAs numbered 2C158E or 2C184E black and white tv only, 2C210E colour crt tv only.

It might pay You to open up the zeddy and check the ULA number before buying a tv.

Moggy.

.Thanks again for all the help chaps and or chappets

Had a look inside and it would appear my model has the ULA 2C184E chip inside here.

Talking about somebody at the RCM modding it, what would we need to have done to it to get it up and running smoothly ( or as smoothas it could be ) and how much are we talking potentially to get the job done.?

I should barley be allowed to used a pencil let alone proper grown up tools
Im considering selling this on at some point so obviousley dont want to spend too much on it in all honesty. A ballpark idea will be fine if anyone can help at all?

Thanks again everyone, didnt expect a thread about a cable would get so long!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/05/2012 8:52 pm
moggy
(@moggy)
Trusted Member

Thanks

All the best
Max

Moggy.

.Thanks again for all the help chaps and or chappets

Had a look inside and it would appear my model has the ULA 2C184E chip inside here.

Talking about somebody at the RCM modding it, what would we need to have done to it to get it up and running smoothly ( or as smoothas it could be ) and how much are we talking potentially to get the job done.?

I should barley be allowed to used a pencil let alone proper grown up tools
Im considering selling this on at some point so obviousley dont want to spend too much on it in all honesty. A ballpark idea will be fine if anyone can help at all?

Thanks again everyone, didnt expect a thread about a cable would get so long!

With that chip B/W tv only so composite mod is out of the question, the 2C210E chip is like rocking horse crap to find and the gubbins from sell my retro is nearly 35 quid.

Suggest car boot B/W portable as cheapest option.

Moggy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2012 9:26 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: