Notifications
Clear all

3.5" fdd on Spectrum +3

billdooruk
(@billdooruk)
Member Admin

Can you add an external 3.5" fdd to a Spectrum +3 ??? or internal even!

I have done this for my CPC 6128 and all works well....would the same drive work on the +3??

Any help welcomed

Karl

Topic starter Posted : 28/08/2012 3:27 pm
Prime
(@prime)
Estimable Member

Yep, I've done that on one of my +3 machines, though I think like the Amstrad it has to be a drive that has the ready signal on pin 34.

If you decide to fit the drive internally tho, be aware that the +5V and +12V are the opposite way round on the 3" power connector to the way they are on the 3.25".

Also the built in +3 DOS formatter only knows about 40 track disks, so you'll only get 170K without a custom format program, I believe that one is available if you search on the net. Once formatted though the +3 DOS will work quite happily with 80 track disks. I believe it will also work ok with double sided disks too, so about 700K / disk 🙂

Cheers.

Phill.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2012 4:10 pm
andy_rea
(@andy_rea)
Eminent Member

There is also a little mod that you can do to make the drives (assuming you add the 3.5" as drive B) swap so the 3.5" becomes drive A and the internal 3" becomes drive B

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/zxplus3e/software.html#mformat is a format program that can format disks to several different formats.

Regards Andy

ZX81 nutter....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2012 10:39 pm
Andy
 Andy
(@andy)
Noble Member

Its exactly the same method as the CPC6128. Works great. Had my +3 at Spectrum 30 running with the HXC Emulator. No issues at all.

You can also do the A:/B: jumper swap too.

Andy
https://www.retrocomputers.online

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2012 3:22 pm
billdooruk
(@billdooruk)
Member Admin

Its exactly the same method as the CPC6128. Works great. Had my +3 at Spectrum 30 running with the HXC Emulator. No issues at all.

You can also do the A:/B: jumper swap too.

Would the same one work on CPC6128 & Spectrum +3...using different formatted disks of course  ???

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2012 8:27 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

You mean the hxc drive working on several machines?
Yes, no problem

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2012 9:50 am
Share: