Hello everyone! (Ne...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello everyone! (New to retro systems)

Alexa Rodwell
(@alexa-rodwell)

Hey! My name is Alexa (Or you can just call me Alex). I'm 18 years old and from Birmingham.

I stumbled across this forum while researching an old games console I used to play when I was a child with my dad! (GameCube, i was addicted!).

Despite it not being a common interest for girls, I really do want to learn more about older games and systems and this looks like the perfect site. I'm a bit of a secret nerd! 😉

I am a complete newbie so most of the things you will tell me will probably go straight over my head but I hope some of it goes in!

What are your favourite games or systems, I'd love to hear!

Feel free to email me (Alex.Rodwell1@outlook.com), reply here, or PM me interesting things about retro systems and games and let's chat. I do not bite, honest! 😀 

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Alexa Rodwell

I'm a newbie, be easy on me please!

Topic starter Posted : 30/08/2021 3:40 pm
Alexa Rodwell
(@alexa-rodwell)

Anyone here? It's rather quiet but I'd love to learn about some retro systems! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/11/2021 2:35 pm
DarrenColes
(@darrencoles)
Member Moderator

yes sadly it has gotten very quiet here recently.

I'm one of the volunteers at RCM. I've been interested in computers ever since I first encountered one back in my last year of primary school (ok we had a black and white pong machine before that but I don't think that held my attention for too long).

I know a lot about a few of the older systems and a little bit about quite a few but there are some that I keep meaning to put some more effort into learning about but there's just not enough time for everything.

I started off with an Acorn Electron in 1986 which despite being a well made solid little machine it wasn't quite powerful enough to compete with the likes of the Spectrum and C64. I then moved onto a Spectrum 128K and enjoyed that for about 3 years. Things them moved on and I had an Amiga 500, 1200 and 4000 and by that time I had realised I enjoyed tinkering with stuff more than playing games. 25 years later I still enjoy tinkering with these machines (mostly through emulation these days though). I don't really play modern games. I keep thinking I'd like to learn more about the C64 since it was such a massively popular machine at the time but not something I ever really used.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2021 5:25 pm
Alexa Rodwell
(@alexa-rodwell)
Posted by: @darrencoles

yes sadly it has gotten very quiet here recently.

I'm one of the volunteers at RCM. I've been interested in computers ever since I first encountered one back in my last year of primary school (ok we had a black and white pong machine before that but I don't think that held my attention for too long).

I know a lot about a few of the older systems and a little bit about quite a few but there are some that I keep meaning to put some more effort into learning about but there's just not enough time for everything.

I started off with an Acorn Electron in 1986 which despite being a well made solid little machine it wasn't quite powerful enough to compete with the likes of the Spectrum and C64. I then moved onto a Spectrum 128K and enjoyed that for about 3 years. Things them moved on and I had an Amiga 500, 1200 and 4000 and by that time I had realised I enjoyed tinkering with stuff more than playing games. 25 years later I still enjoy tinkering with these machines (mostly through emulation these days though). I don't really play modern games. I keep thinking I'd like to learn more about the C64 since it was such a massively popular machine at the time but not something I ever really used.

Hey Darren, thank you for the response!

I've always wanted to have a go on an old fashioned black and white pong machine! 😀

It sounds like you've used a huge amount of systems in the past! I'm from more of the Nintendo DS era (Maybe they will be classed as retro one day in the future!) I want to test out old systems like the Amiga and older Nintendo systems (Not very girly, I know!)

I hope you get to test out the C64!

I'm going to try and get an original PlayStation 1 with a few games to start off with!

I'd love to chat more 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/11/2021 9:07 pm
DarrenColes
(@darrencoles)
Member Moderator

We do have one of those black and white pong machines at the museum. If you can travel to Leicester then it really is well worth a trip to the museum.

There are so many systems its really difficult to find time to get to know them all. I've also got a Spectrum Next from the second kickstarter so I imagine that will also take up some of my time.

The original playstation was a fantastic machine. I remember spending hours playing Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout 2097 and many others. Those early 3d games can look a bit dated these days though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2021 10:25 am
Share: